Baldor Servo Motor Repair
Servotech is a warranty center for Baldor. It is important to have a good working relationship with any manufacturer of servo motors in order to effectively repair their products. Servotech possesses all of the necessary technical documents needed to complete repairs correctly. We also have access to Baldor stock motors and parts, which means anything we can’t personally fix or re-manufacture can be purchased from the factory directly at a good rate.
Nonetheless, our access to parts and information does not make our evaluation or repair process any less stringent or detail oriented. Baldor servo motor repair demands a good mechanical understanding of how servo motors work, as well as a strong background in electrical concepts.
For example, Baldor servo motors used in robotics can sometimes have resolvers with three different resolutions (not to be confused with speeds) and run at 6000 RPM.
Years of experience and a commitment to excellence make Servotech an outstanding repair center for everything Baldor. Each motor that enters the shop is evaluated and tested against factory specification and will not receive our certificate of refurbishment unless it meets or surpasses those specifications.
1. Evaluation of Your Baldor Servo Motor
Servotech commences evaluation with the inspection of mechanical parts, and electrical components on all Baldor servo motors. We check:
- Bearing fits
- Housing fits
- Low brake torque
- Worn output shafts
- Corroded and/or broken flanges
- Corroded Power Plugs
- Misaligned Encoders
A typical Baldor when it arrives in the shop, and then after we service it.
2. Motor Repair
We manufacture or repair any problems found during our evaluation, fixing any part that does not meet the factory specifications. Often we:
- Remagnetize rotor magnets.
- Surface grind and re-gap brake plates for proper holding torque and pick voltages.
- Re-manufacture a new Baldor servo motor front flange using the old flange and factory dimensions.
- Repair all the windings. Both AC and DC servo motors windings are washed, baked and tested.
- Repair or replace brush holders and Bake-O-Lite insulation tubes on DC motors.
3. Preliminary Testing
During assembly, Baldor servo motor repairs are meggered frequently. Some of our tests include:
- Test to confirm there are no grounded electrical parts in the servo motor.
- All AC stators are surge tested to at least 1500 volts.
- After the baking process DC Servo motor armatures go through a bar to bar test. This test will show if there are any shorts or opens in the winding.
- Torque tests to confirm magnet strength.
- Servo motor alignment.
Three resolution resolvers specific to the robot series Baldor servo motors, shown in their physical form and their output at each resolution.
After repair and preliminary testing, Baldor motors are reassembled. Our assembly process often improves the internal motor components. Our assembled motors utilize:
- High-grade sealed bearings – we feel that each Baldor servo motor repair will have a longer life with sealed bearings because the seals keep dirt and contamination from getting into the bearing races.
- Double lip seals in the front flange – these seals keep coolant from getting to the bearing.
- All new seals, O-rings, gaskets and connectors – ensure that your Baldor servo motor is protected from liquid contamination.
- Baldor stators are potted, which makes them tough to rewind.
- Two-part epoxy coating for an added protection – the same coating used on Navy submarines.
A typical brake used in some Baldor servo motors. Servotech rebuilds, rewinds, and modifies brakes to get them functioning, and to hold with proper torque. New brake pad from Servotech stock shown with rebuilt brake.
5. Final Testing on Baldor Factory Drives
Baldor servo motors are run on Baldor drives as a means of ensuring the quality of the refurbished product. Our Final Test Department can detect vibration, bearing noise, or even just a slightly misaligned feedback devices all based on how the motor performs on the drive.
Our bank of drives is always getting new additions and upgrades to stay on top of the latest technology. Running a Baldor motor on a factory drive at our facility means, it will run on the same factory drive in yours.
6. Name Plating
Before shipping, Servotech makes all new name plates for each of our servomotor repairs. These new name plates include all the original data from the motor, as well as Servotech’s name, job number, and date codes. This gives customers traceability in regards to their servo motor repair.
More on Servotech’s status as an Authorized Baldor Servo Motor Repair Center.