Kollmorgen Servo Motor Repair
Kollmorgen servo motors require careful evaluation. By thoroughly testing your motors, we make sure your old, broken down Kollmorgen servo motor can be refurbished back to the “factory new” standard.
In order to properly repair your Kollmorgen servo motor it is vital to have a good working relationship with the factory. By liaising with Kollmorgen we are able to procure original technical documents and finite specifications for the servo motor. Without this information, a motor can only be repaired to “running” condition. Using this information ensures your motor will perform to its factory specifications in your machine.
Our goal is to give you a Kollmorgen servo motor that is not only repaired but has been refurbished back to like new condition. Our repair procedure adheres to these steps:
1. Evaluation of Your Kollmorgen Servo Motor
Servotech inspects all electrical and mechanical parts on all Kollmorgen servo motors. During our evaluation, we check for:
- Bearing fits
- Housing fits
- Connector condition
- Worn output shafts
- Corroded and/or broken flanges
- Resolver shielding
A typical Kollmorgen when it arrives in the shop, and then after we service it.
2. Servo Motor Repair
We manufacture or repair any problems found during our evaluation, fixing any part that does not meet the factory specifications. Often we:
- Remagnetize rotor magnets.
- Re-manufacture a new Kollmorgen servo motor front flange using the old flange and factory dimensions.
- Repair all the windings. Both AC and DC servo motors windings are washed, baked and tested.
- Replace contaminated or damaged resolver rotors and stator.
- Repair or replace brush holders and Bake-O-Lite insulation tubes on DC motors.
Resolver ruined by contamination. Below left, shielded bearing vs. below right sealed bearing; Servotech uses the higher grade sealed bearing.
3. Preliminary Testing
Throughout the assembly process each Kollmorgen servo motor repair will be meggered many times. Some of our tests include:
- Test to confirm there are no grounded electrical parts in the servo motor.
- All AC stators are surge tested to at least 1500 volts.
- After the baking process DC servo motor armatures go through a bar to bar test. This test will show if there are any shorts or opens in the winding.
- Servo motor alignment, checked against factory alignments.
4. Motor Assembly
After repair and preliminary testing, Kollmorgen motors are reassembled. Our assembly process often improves the internal motor components. Our assembled motors utilize:
- High-grade sealed bearings – we feel that each Kollmorgen servo motor repair will have a longer life with sealed bearings, because the seals keep dirt and contamination from getting into the bearing races.
- Double lip seals in the front flange – these seals keep coolant from getting to the bearing.
- All new seals, O-rings, gaskets and connectors – ensure that your Kollmorgen servo motor is protected from liquid contamination.
- Two-part epoxy coating for an added protection – the same coating used on Navy submarines.
New Harrowe resolvers are in stock ready to be installed on Kollmorgen servo motors with a factory alignment. Below, a good resolver output.
5. Final Testing on Kollmorgen Factory Drives
All of our previous work is checked, and rechecked by the Final Test Department which culminates by running your Kollmorgen servo motor on a factory drive just like the one in your machine. Using a Kollmorgen drive gives us the capacity to certify that all of our previous work on the motor was done properly.
By loading the motor to factory specified full load voltage and current we can be confident that your motor will operate correctly once it is returned. Part of maintaining our edge in the industry means we are constantly upgrading our software and purchasing new drives to keep up with changes in the manufacturer’s technology.
6. Name Plating
Before shipping, Servotech makes all new name plates for each of our servomotor repairs. These new name plates include all the original data from the motor, as well as Servotech’s name, job number, and date codes. This gives customers traceability in regards to their servo motor repair.